Here are a few myths spread by printer manufacturers and accepted as fact by some of our customers;
- Myth: You can only use the brand of printer that came with your computer (i.e. can only use a Dell printer with a Dell computer)
- Reality: Printers are ubiquitous. Any USB or parallel port printer can be used with any computer that has a USB or parallel port. Operating systems may present a problem. Many printers do not supply software drivers for Macintosh or Linux. All printers currently manufactured in the U.S. supply drivers for the Windows operating system.
- Myth: The cartridges that come with a new printer are regular cartridges
- Reality: Cartridges sold with a new printer are almost always “starter” cartridges. Starter cartridges are either half full of ink or toner, or have a chip that indicates that they are out of ink/toner after only half the normal page count of a standard cartridge. Most starter cartridges can be refilled to normal cartridge levels once they are empty.
- Myth: Refilled and remanufactured cartridges will void your printer’s warranty
- Reality: Printer manufacturers are prohibited by law from voiding your warranty for using recycled cartridges. Stop by the store and ask for a fact sheet that explains the legal aspects of this myth.